EVA GREEN-CYBULSKA, MA (CAND.) BFA
Eva is currently finishing her Masters degree in Music at York University. She is a graduate of Concordia University in Montreal where she completed her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Music. Eva is an internationally renowned jazz vocalist who recorded 3 albums. She is well known for her truly genuine interpretations of jazz standards, Brazilian classics, gospel spirituals, blues, and recently even classical opera.
Eva begun her musical career at the age of 8 as a cellist, and after completing her degree in jazz studies, she moved to Los Angeles where she worked as a songwriter and singer mingling with many jazz greats of the LA music scene. Eva has been working as a vocal teacher and performance coach since 1994.
Eva teaches students of all ages and levels of proficiency. For children ages 7-12, she has a special program that makes learning singing fun and easy to do. For adolescents and adults who want to sing all genres of contemporary vocal styles, such as: Pop, Rock, Hip-Hop, Metal, Soul, Blues, Jazz, Gospel, Musical Theatre and beyond, Eva offers a comprehensive and effective program that includes all key elements of vocal technique as well as interpretation and performance coaching individually designed for each student, and their level of proficiency.
Eva provides all her students with pre-recorded, ready-to-use piano accompaniments for specially designed exercises at no extra charge. This enables each student to practice on a daily basis between lessons at home. This method significantly speeds-up the learning process, and enables the student to achieve audible results. Eva teaches singing lessons at Neighbour Note.
PHILOSOPHY OF TEACHING
Eva believes that everyone is unique and therefore needs personalized lessons that are designed to create an individual course of study for each student, taking into account their age, level of proficiency and aptitude.
Eva’s lessons are designed to create an individual course of study for each student, taking into account his/her age, level of proficiency and aptitude. Her lessons have practical character and aim at gaining knowledge in the following areas:
- Gradual, non-invasive work on proper voice emission.The aim is to develop a singing scale from two, to two and a half octaves (depending on the individual skills and abilities), which is the scale fully complying with the requirements of every genre of music repertoire (including classical).
- Conscious forming of vowels and consonants in the voice registers, which provides clear and correct enunciation.
- Adaptation of psychological aspect in order to activate the subconscious, and the intuitive in singing. Mastery of the vocal mechanism through adequate training of the mind.
- Gaining basic knowledge in the area of actor’s work on the role, forming and developing acting methods for their use in interpreting the lyrics.
- Learning songs in different styles (jazz, pop, soul, blues, rock, funk, r & b) with indication of the specific characteristic elements for each given genre. This gives the student ability to feel comfortable performing in a professional manner, in many styles of popular music.
- Studying of vocal works, designed to familiarize students with renowned vocal performances in a variety of musical genres. This aims at developing the skills of conscious listening to music, and the ability to express opinions and discuss music in a professional manner – joint analysis of recordings of selected artists.
- Practice singing songs with professional backing tracks, and working on repertoire (preparation, analysis and planning exercises).
- Knowledge of music theory in jazz and popular genres, and its use in practice.
- Knowledge and practice in the field of stage and studio performance (working with a microphone, knowledge of music equipment, musical programs, set up and use a home studio recording).
- For singers who write their own music and lyrics, Eva provides consultations on composition and arrangement.